Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Lacking perspective

I think, too often, I don't take into account that what is obvious to me is unknown to others. I can sometimes convince myself that some things are common knowledge (whatever that means) and that I am not responsible for the ignorance of others. This can lead to contempt, disgust, and a wide range of (typically) negative connotations in my words and actions towards those I engage. Chances are if you're reading this you have seen me behave in such a manner and have gotten a chuckle or two out of it as I reign my intelligence and wit upon those who apparently lack the same arms (irony duly noted).
An example includes a recent conversation about health care and the idea of a "free market" solution. I take many things for granted in this debate. I assume others are aware that one of the problems, as most people see it, is the lack of universal coverage. I don't understand why someone would think a free market approach would provide a commodity, as health care is viewed in such an scenario, to everyone. I would think that if you support a free market approach you would understand the basic concept is to make available a commodity to those who can afford it, not to provide a service to everyone because of a moral obligation to do so. Perhaps my initial assumption is completely off base and the person/people arguing for a free market approach don't view universal coverage as an issue.
Another issue is the idea of the free market itself. I assume, usually wrongly, that people know that the free market, as an economic model, does not exist in reality. It never has. It never will. I'm not sure anybody who has an ounce of compassion for their fellow humans or the environment would ever want it to exist.
I assume people know, as I do, that when talking heads rant about how the elderly will be euthanized under the plan in consideration, that this is complete and total nonsense. I can understand having a dislike/distrust of the government, but that shouldn't interfere with common sense.
I assume people know that being a liberal does not, in fact, automatically mean I support whatever notion comes out of Congress. I support the idea of universal health care, not any watered down, industry friendly bill that comes from the halls. On that same note, the simple fact that I don't fully support a bill that attempts to address one of my biggest concerns does not, in any way shape or form, mean that I will "vote the bums out" who created the bill in favor of those who offer NO solutions, only obstructionism. Just as I don't think the cap-and-trade bill under consideration will do much to help another big issue, that does not mean I will vote next time for someone who has their head up their ass and denies a problem even exists in the first place. Consider it as a bit of a litmus test I use when voting. If I want a solution and you deny a problem exist, don't count on my vote. Ever.
Back to the point at hand, I also take for granted that maybe people simply don't know that being ABLE to do something is not an excuse for doing it. This hearkens back to my days in elementary school when one student would taunt another, normally eliciting a response of "shut up" from the tauntee. The rebuttal and end-all argument from the original a**hole was always "it's a free country, I can do what I want". I often take for granted that many people did not grow out of these arguments as they rightly should have. They are still kicking, still using that same refrain. Ask them why they think the way they do and you'll likely get a response of "I'm allowed to have an opinion", which is ALWAYS beside the point. And don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that those with opinions that they cannot support simply shut up. On the contrary, I encourage them to speak out. I want to be able to identify them.

*Please note that my comments about the free market should be taken in context. I would normally assume that all my comments would be taken in context, but obviously I would be wrong, as history dictates. I don't have a universally negative view of the free market and, in fact, think it is a decent economic model.

No comments:

Post a Comment